Mother of the Bride
As the mother of the bride, it can sometimes feel like there is an enormous amount of pressure to find a subtle, yet flawless outfit for the occasion. While you want to look your best on the big day, you don’t want to outshine your daughter, either. Nor do you want to spend the morning of the celebrations fussing around your dress, when it’s all about the bride’s gown.
No matter what your intentions are for your outfit preparation, it’s vital you set aside some time to efficiently plan your vision for the day. It’s all about looking and feeling your best – and ensuring you’ve for the best choice in designer mother of the bride dresses is definitely the first big step.
How to shop for mother of the bride outfits
Depending on your body shape and size, certain designs may be more suited to you than others. A few factors to consider include:
- Hourglass-shaped women may prefer a skater cut to emphasise their curves.
- Those who have larger hips may prefer v-neck or scoop neck styles to balance their upper and lower shape.
- Athletically built ladies often opt for slimmer styles and strapless outfits to flaunt their figure.
- Women with apple-shaped bodies may choose flowy tunics or shift options for a slimming effect.
In regards to colour, it always pays to consider what the bridal party will be wearing. While traditionally you don’t need to match the bridesmaids, it sometimes worthwhile adopting a tone or palette that doesn’t bluntly clash. Picking an outfit within the same palette will mean that the colours complement each other smoothly, but without being exactly the same.
You will also need to consider what the general colour theme of the wedding/venue is. Fitting in with the general scheme will likely result in more consistent photography on the day.
When you hit the shops or your search online – such as exploring our website – consider these helpful tips along the way:
- Allow your bride to have some input: As your daughter, she knows your style best.
- Be comfortable: Don’t settle with a dress if the material and fit don’t have you feeling relaxed. You should be able to look gorgeous and dance your heart out at the same time.
- Start looking as soon as possible: Don’t leave it to the last minute. Trust us on this one.
Ultimately, your choice of dress will depend on your individual style and what you feel most comfortable in. If you’re not sure where to start, we encourage you to browse through our collection to get a better understanding of what catches your eye. Each outfit within the Anthea Crawford range is uniquely crafted with quality materials and our lineup of talented dressmakers. Visit one of our stores in Melbourne and wider Australia to see our collection first-hand. Alternatively, shop online for delivery right across the country.